Friday, November 7, 2014

More From Character Design

It's been a long trek with this character design. It's hard landing on a look that reflects this character and will work to tell this personal, and yet, universal story.

I don't even have the full character sheet yet but I really want to show you what I've toiled away on. we'll start back with Savannah's design:

MACH 1
We got pretty far with this design and I believe we pushed it as far as Savannah could go but I just couldn't get the design to move out of a cartoon grey area. In the end I decided to take her work and keep building on it myself so that I can come up with a design that I'm happy with.

MACH 2
For a while I thought this was THE design-building on old work and coming to a compromise in design. The more I thought about it, the more I began to think this design still might undermine some of the more serious messages I am trying to communicate with my film. In the end, the message is the most important part.

MACH 3
I feel this design best meets my needs as a storyteller and will fully suite the message I'm trying to convey with my film. It's not a huge leap from the last design but I believe it is much improved in the right places. This is not the final character sheet so the design may change slightly but this design stands as as close as I may get to the final design and I'm happy with it. Time will tell!