Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In Memorium: The Cutting Room Floor

Thought I'd take a moment to share all the great shots that just didn't make it into the final cut of the film. Certainly there were many shots an ideas that were cut or changed and you can see at least most of them in various posts on this blog but these 4 shots made it to rough animation and were the last shots cut.

All of these shots were cut to help slow down the final fight sequence as the consensus of my thesis committee was that everything was simply moving too fast for an audience to follow. I generally agreed. Working so long you lose perspective as you're eyes are already so used to following the action over and over again.


Shots 85 and 88 would have shown more swinging around the giant as well as given a good sense of depth. I particularly like these shots with him swinging from the background to the foreground because I really think it places the camera and audience right there with the action.


Both of these shots were more or less insert shots animated by Jasmine Lewis and myself. I like to think he's just rocking out in that last one